Using confidential data in testing
Application development and testing are often outsourced to partners as well as development and testing teams. The EU’s General Data Protection Regulation sets certain requirements for the processing of confidential data which our Data Masking solution meets.
Profit Software’s solution comprises two parts: encryption of confidential data when creating test material and refreshment of test material using encrypted material. The solution can be deployed for the encryption of test material, or it can be extended to cover the refreshment of the test material.
Encryption and refreshment of test data
The client can choose from several methods which can be used to encrypt the material, including permanent encryption and data scrambling with various algorithms. Encryption takes place field-specifically at the database level in connection with the test data creation process, so that data integrity rules are maintained regardless of the encryption. The process is completely dynamic and configurable by the client.
Refreshing the test data can be challenging, as the testing situations and needs vary depending on the tested entity and its properties. A simplified model in which production data is copied and brought into the testing environment is often not feasible, as the test data cannot be updated in the middle of a testing cycle, and because the amount of production data is often so extensive that transferring it to a testing and development environment is not sensible.
- Our Data Masking solution is always adapted to the environment in question so that it understands the underlying data structures. This way the test material can be refreshed one subset at a time, even at the level of a single customer ID, product key or event interval, depending on the specific testing needs.
- The test engineers use a simple interface to define the desired test material, based on which the system extracts the material for use.
- The performance of the solution is excellent, and the solution can be used with large amounts of data.
- Personal data can be restricted, which means that only those people who need to have access to the environment can use the data.
- Effective testing that can be carried out quickly and easily using high-quality test data.